Saturday, November 20, 2010

porting software


OK, I have to admit I am not well experience with porting software applications from one language to another ,and to be honest inspite of my lack of jittery-skills I’m very much thrilled to see projects ported from one machine to another. (The impressive MONO port of .NET and stuff.)

Maybe it is nostalgic memories (college days) ,writing mini application of foxpro
programs and porting it to cobol and vice versa etc. =p

Porting applications is a big challenge for every software developer and to share my
indebted experience my most recent side project was porting a point of sale application
written in foxpro to php and mysql . I tell you , it is terrible & nice thing I have some friends to back me up LOL .

And for those developers who are very much new to this software-porting-arena

Here is my scratch-your-left-pinky-to-your-right-toe-kind-of-tips:

1.If you are porting a very large rdbms type of application learn design patterns

2.remember realistic timeline slash timeframe =p

3.create test cases

4.use versioning software for a team of 2 to 3 developers

5.do it once and do it well

6.productive-wise.use managed-programming-language

That’s it fellow geektards LOLROFL

0 comments:

Post a Comment